Practice & Services
Sherry Consulting provides customized services to individual donors, foundations, and select nonprofits.
Our core strengths are providing sophisticated strategic planning and due diligence to help donors develop and launch high impact strategies. We also conduct in depth research into emerging areas of high impact giving, from the environment and security issues to human rights and the arts. For select nonprofits, Christine offers strategic planning, consulting and training on board governance and growth.
Christine Sherry brings a thirty year career of leadership in the foundation sector, business, law and global affairs to her advising and coaching in philanthropy. She engages a team of researchers whose talents are matched with client needs. In addition to her specialized coaching and thought partnership, Christine teaches philanthropy to the broader Bay Area community through the Stanford Continuing Studies program and is a visiting practitioner with the Stanford Center on Philanthropy.
As the founding Director of the Hewlett Foundation’s The Philanthropy Workshop West, Christine Sherry educated and counseled over one hundred private donors on all aspects of philanthropy. In her private practice, Christine continues to advise individual donors and foundations on strategic focus and best practices.
Each engagement is individually tailored to meet client needs. Our clients have ranged from large established foundations to newer venture philanthropy foundations, corporate foundations, smaller family foundations, and individual donors.
Recent projects have involved exploring new strategies in climate change funding; developing a new portfolio supporting the arts; conducting comprehensive research into human trafficking, literacy, and animal welfare; identifying funding for medical research; and analyzing leadership programs.
- Exploring targeted areas of strategic focus
- Performing in-depth field scans on social issues
- Developing a giving plan for individuals and foundations
- Setting up processes for evaluating and approving grant applications
- Clarifying organizations' mission and vision
- Conducting due diligence, market, and field research
- Identifying emerging areas of giving and high-impact opportunities
- Advising on board expansion and foundation governance
- Consolidating foundation programming
- Growing donor and audience bases
- Creating strategic partnerships
- Facilitating board retreats
To honor the confidentiality of our clients, we do not publish our client list.
References are available upon request.